Categories: Uncategorized

NASA administrator supports Trump ‘space force’ proposal

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine expressed full support Monday for President Donald Trump’s proposed military “Space Force” but added that it will have a role separate from NASA.

Bridenstine said in New Orleans that NASA’s responsibilities involve science, space exploration and technology development. As for defense and national security, he told reporters in New Orleans: “We want to be an agency that maintains its independence from those capabilities.”

Bridenstine was touring the Michoud Assembly Center, where workers are putting together major parts of systems that are planned to return Americans to the moon and, eventually, take them to Mars. In a towering building, Boeing workers are building parts of the 322-foot (98-meter) rocket known as the Space Launch System. Lockheed Martin workers are building the spacecraft called Orion.

Bridenstine, a former Republican congressman, was nominated by Trump to head NASA last year and confirmed by the Senate in April.

He touched on the work at Michoud and other NASA concerns while standing next to a massive liquid hydrogen tank — a test version of one that eventually will be part of the SLS rocket.

SPACE FORCE

Bridenstine was among the officials with Trump in June when he called for creation of a new military branch known as the Space Force. He said it’s needed because the nation’s space assets — including satellite technology and global positioning systems — are vital to numerous interests and industries, including communications, navigation, food and energy production, banking and climate.
“If we lose GPS, we lose banking in the United States of America. There’s no milk in the grocery store in a matter of three days,” he said.
The space force plan requires congressional approval. Military leaders and experts have questioned the wisdom of launching an expensive, bureaucratic new service branch.

JAMES WEBB SPACE TELECOPE

Bridenstine spoke enthusiastically about the much-delayed James Webb Space Telescope, what is now a nearly $10 billion project. That next-generation technology is envisioned as the successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, despite an announcement in June — for the third time in less than a year — of a lengthy postponement.

Associated Press

Recent Posts

  • News

Easter in North Webster

North Webster had events all over the area celebrating Easter. Here are a few photos of people enjoying the beautiful…

20 hours ago
  • News

Bid to rework Louisiana sales tax deal rejected by senators

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Republican lawmakers seeking to rework or repeal a Louisiana sales tax compromise passed last year…

20 hours ago
  • News

Webster Assessor reduces property taxes again

Special to the Minden Press-Herald Since December 11, 2013 when Morris Guin, Webster Parish Assessor, first announced that he was…

23 hours ago
  • News

Minden Celebrates Easter

The Minden Press-Herald asked the community to send us photos of  Easter activities around town. These are some of those…

2 days ago
  • News

Average US price of gas spikes 13 cents per gallon, to $2.91

CAMARILLO, Calif. (AP) — The average U.S. price of regular-grade gasoline surged 13 cents a gallon (3.8 liters) over the…

2 days ago
  • News

Man’s body found in Louisiana bayou

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) — A north Louisiana sheriff’s office is investigating the discovery of a body in Jeems Bayou. Caddo…

2 days ago