Following the overwhelming passage of the bond proposition in November, the Webster Parish School Board is set to adopt a resolution for canvassing the returns and declaring the results of the special election.
The 29-mill bond extension proposition passed Nov. 21, with 59 percent of bonding district 6 in favor and 41 percent against.
The proposition is funding $7 million in capital improvements to J.A. Phillips Middle School and Webster Junior High School to accommodate Harper students and closing that school.
Voters approved a five-year extension on a 20-year, 29-mill ad valorem tax in bonding district 6. The idea is to build an additional wing onto Phillips and move K-1 there with the pre-K. A total of 11 additional classrooms and renovations to the existing facility will take place to be age appropriate.
Board discussion will also take place from the buildings and maintenance committee on the election results. Committee members include Linda Kinsey, chair, John Madden and Brandon Edens.
In other news, the board will elect officers for the 2016 year. Currently, Charles Strong serves as president with Johnnye Kennon serving as vice president.
Other items on the agenda the board is set to discuss include:
- Approval of minutes from the personnel and finance committees from Nov. 2 as well as the regular board meeting,
- Moro Electric, LLC to connect electricity to two portable buildings at Central School for $1,545, using the District 3 Lease Fund.
- John Gibbs Roof Systems Inc., to work on the roof at the special needs building at Central Office for $11,489 using the parish-wide maintenance tax.
- Southern Hardwood Floors to sand and finish the gym floor and repaint game lines and art at North Webster Junior High School for $11,780, using the Sarepta School building fund, and
- Approved field trips. The approved field trips include:
- Lakeside High School’s Cross Country team to travel to the state meet.
- Lakeside Junior High Cross Country team to travel to Choudrant High School.
- E.S. Richardson fourth and fifth grade trip for 4-H AgMagic State Fair in Shreveport on Nov. 5.
- E.S. Richardson fourth grade trip to Ballet, Monroe on Dec. 3.
- Browning Elementary first grade students to travel to see Peter and the Wolf at the Riverview Theatre in Shreveport, Nov. 12.
- Webster Junior High School chapter of National Junior Beta Club to attend district convention in Shreveport, Nov. 7.
- Webster Junior High Disabilities field trip: Dr. John O’Connor to take eight students on an instructional outing to Springhill movie theater to see the new Peanuts movie, Nov. 20.
- Central Elementary fifth grade students to travel to bowling alley in Springhill for PBIS rewards trip, Dec. 17.
- Couch Gould’s world history class from Lakeside School on a field trip to Minden, and
- 80 students from Harper Elementary to travel to Ruston movie theater the week of Dec. 14-18.
- The board will meet at 6 p.m., Monday, Dec. 7.