BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Charges have been upgraded against a teenager accused of shooting his father in the head.
Louisiana authorities say Burt Templet died three days after being shot multiple times last week.
The Advocate reports Templet’s 17-year-old son initially faced one count of attempted manslaughter. But East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s spokeswoman Casey Rayborn Hicks said Monday that charge was upgraded to manslaughter in light of his father’s death. The teenager is being held in lieu of $100,000 bail. It was unknown if he has an attorney.
According to an arrest report, the father and son argued when early June 3. The teen told investigators his father was the aggressor. He says he shot his father three times before calling 911. He later told detectives his father didn’t threaten him and was unarmed.