The Louisiana Army National Guard says it has received 10 bids to destroy 7,500 tons of M6 artillery propellant at Camp Minden.
In an email Thursday, Col. Pete Schneider, LANG spokesperson says the following companies submitted written competitive quotes:

Leidos

Aegis Environ UXO, Inc.

Timberline Environmental

Clean Harbors Environmental

General Dynamics Ordnance & Tactical Systems

Archtech, Inc.

Kemron Environmental Services

Expal

Explosive Services International and

CH2M Hill

Schneider said Thursday that the guard isn’t releasing any details about their bids regarding which technology was proposed in each.

“In accordance with the contract office, we’re not going to release actual technologies that each one of the vendors bid on,” he said, “because once the committee is formed, they’re going to sit down and evaluate all those technologies. And some of them may not fit into the actual ones the dialogue committee came up with or the EPA came up with.”

He says an evaluation team is being formed, and the guard will identify agencies and people on the team. It will include two members of the “dialogue committee” formed to evaluate processes after protests by area residents got the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to say methods other than open burning could be considered. Those members are Wilma Subra, scientist and owner of Subra Company, and Dr. Slawomir Lomnicki, of LSU Superfund Research Center and Department of Environmental Services.
He says Subra will participate in the actual evaluation of the contracts.

Last year, EPA said burning in shallow trays was the only method that could be used quickly enough to destroy the propellant before it became dangerously explosive.

It said Wednesday that the guard may consider other methods.

In an interview Thursday, Schneider says he does not know if any of the bids contain open tray burn, but when they (LANG) went out for bids, they asked companies to bid on alternate methods.

“When (Maj.) Gen. (Glenn) Curtis appeared at the meeting up there (at Camp Minden in January), he said at the same time this committee was getting together, we went out for proposals for bids from companies to submit an alternative form of destruction,” he said.