A vehicle crash led to the arrest of a man on a DWI charge over the weekend.

The Webster Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested 56-year-old Kenneth Lane Penton, of the 800 block of Hams Street in Minden, for driving while intoxicated, first offense.

On Saturday, Deputy Marshall Merritt responded to a vehicle crash at the intersection of Highway 371 and Upper Oilfield Road in Dubberly. When he arrived, he noted a red truck in the ditch partially blocking the northbound lane. Merritt approached the vehicle, and as he did so, a man, later identified as Penton, met him and told him he was the driver of the vehicle and no one was hurt.

While talking with Penton, Merritt reportedly noted a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his person. At that time, a field sobriety test was performed, to which Penton reportedly performed poorly.

He was placed under arrest and transported to the Webster Parish Courthouse where he was asked to submit a breath sample for the Intoxilyzer 5000. His blood alcohol content results were reportedly .131.

He was then transferred to Bayou Dorcheat Correctional Center.

Third Offense

DOYLINE – A Doyline man was arrested for his third driving while intoxicated offense when Webster Parish Sheriff’s deputies initiated a traffic stop.

Dep. John Lewis Jr. stopped a vehicle on Shiloh Road in Doyline for driving in the center of the road just a little after 7 p.m. Sunday, according to reports. The driver, later identified as Robert Lee Smith, 65, of the 1800 block of Camp Zion Road, appeared to be swaying from side to side as he exited his vehicle and approached Lewis.

While talking with Smith, the deputy reported that he could smell the odor of alcoholic beverages coming from his person. Smith was asked to perform a field sobriety test, and he reportedly refused two of the four tests.

He was taken into custody and transported to the Webster Parish Courthouse where he submitted a breath sample on the Intoxilyer 5000. His blood alcohol content results were .139, according to the report.

He was then transported to Bayou Dorcheat Correctional Center.