The deadline to submit art entries for 2016 Chickenstock is approaching fast.
Entries are due Friday, March 11, Cultural Crossroads Executive Director Chris Broussard said.
Contests this year include:
- The Le Gogh Building Block Design Contest, sponsored by the Webster Parish Library, is open to students ages three to five years, six to eight years and nine to 12 years of age. Contact Jennifer Heard at 371-3080, extension 116 for a contest form or questions.
- The altered couture contest is “upcycled” clothing with a creative twist. Divisions are for students 13 years of age and younger and students 14 years of age and older. This contest will allow students to transform their existing garments into fabulous works of wearable art. For contest forms or questions, contact Janis Merritt at email@example.com.
- The creative contests for children will offer cash and prizes to winning entries. Categories include pencil, colored pencils or crayon; paintings in watercolor, oil, acrylic or pastels; mixed medium; collages; sculptures; photography and digital art. Grade divisions are: Pre-K and K, first and second grade, third and fourth grade, fifth and sixth grade, seventh and eighth grade, ninth and tenth grade and eleventh and twelfth grade.
- The Poetry Contest is for grades 3-12, with a $25 cash award to all Best of Show in each division. Divisions include: grades third and fourth, fifth and sixth, seventh and eighth, ninth and tenth and eleventh and twelfth.
- Craft Contest For Kids includes categories: jewelry, weaving, crochet or knitting, woodwork, quilting and miscellaneous.
This year’s Chickenstock will honor the legacy of Percy Mayfield, a famous musician from Minden.
Chickenstock starts April 11 and will go through April 16.
The day for the public to attend is Saturday, April 16, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
There will be live music, a hands-on art museum, arts and crafts vendors, a Percy Mayfield look-a-like contest and more.
Admission is $3 per person and children three and under are free. All proceeds will go to the Minden High School Band/Instrument fund.