CAMP MINDEN — All remnants of Clean Burning Ignitor at Camp Minden were destroyed Wednesday.
“We can all sleep a little better knowing the CBI has been destroyed and we are one step closer to completing the destruction of the improperly stored explosive material,” said Col. Ed Bush, state public affairs officer for the LANG. “More than 49 percent of the M6 propellant, now 100 percent of the CBI, has been destroyed. Throughout this process, our community did what it always does – worked together, as neighbors.”
The third burn of 85,000 pounds of CBI and 40,000 pounds of M6 propellant stored in a magazine was successfully conducted Tuesday at noon at Camp Minden.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal personnel from the Army’s 797th Ordnance Company (EOD) and 79th Ordnance Battalion (EOD) from Fort Hood, Texas, conducted the four burns.
The EPA monitored the all burns at four stations, as well as with their Trace Atmospheric Gas Analyzer bus downwind of burns.
Last week, a bunker containing 820 pounds of CBI was destroyed and 114,000 pounds was destroyed Sunday.
The Louisiana National Guard confirmed CBI was the cause of the bunker explosion in late September that lit up the morning sky.
Following the explosion, the Louisiana National Guard said the remaining 200,000 pounds of CBI would be burned in place.
The M6 propellant and CBI were discovered improperly stored at Explo’s property on Camp Minden after an October 2012 explosion that shook Camp Minden and the surrounding areas.
The explosives were stored in magazines before Explo, which leased space from the National Guard’s industrial site at Camp Minden, went bankrupt in August 2013 and abandoned the site.